Enrolment and Preschool Visits
Please contact the office early for an enrolment pack so you can pre-enrol your child. When you enrol you will also need to bring with you your child's birth certificate (or passport) and immunisation certificate. Ohaupo School is now zoned and details of our enrolment zone are shown below. Places for children who are out-of-zone are often available, please contact the school office at your earliest convenience.
New entrants experience a transition from pre-school to school. They need to adjust to the size of the school, more people and new routines. There is a structured day with expectations of learning and set eating times. Because of these changes we recommend 3 pre-school visits leading up to your child starting school. This introduces the student to the class routines and helps them become familiar with their surroundings. If possible we prefer the student to stay over a break time, eg 9am to 11:15am or 11am to 2pm, so they can experience class learning time, eating, playing time and back to class learning time. Pre-school children are invited to come along and visit our new entrant class on a Thursday morning, please contact the office to book your child's visit.
Visits for Older Children
We invite children moving to the area to come and meet their new teacher and classmates before they join our school. We find this helps to alleviate any fears about moving schools. Please contact the office to ensure the teacher will be available to meet your child during your visit.
Enrolment Scheme Ohaupo School
In order to avoid overcrowding, or the likelihood of overcrowding, the board of Ohaupo School has adopted an enrolment scheme which has been approved by the Ministry of Education.
Under this scheme, students will be enrolled if they live within the home zone described below.
The enrolment of out of Zone students is governed by the provisions of the Education Act 1989.
The enrolment scheme, including the home zone, may be viewed at the school office foyer where copies of the scheme are also available.
All students who live within the home zone described below shall be entitled to enrol at the school.
In a clockwise direction:
- Travelling south from the Mystery Creek Road intersection with Airport Road (including Mystery Creek Road up to number 43, and Airport Road up to 204, following the school's year 1 - 6 TEZ boundary, are in zone. The boundary excludes Tarr Road. The boundary crosses Kaipaki Road at 325 Kaipaki Road and continues south so that Lynd Road is in zone. The boundary crosses Parallel Road (houses addressed 1 to 895 and 2 to 894 inclusive are out of zone) and Kite Access Road. (Kite Access Road 166 to 168 are in zone). Kite Road is in zone.
- The Southern boundary then crosses Jary Road and follows it in a westward direction. All addresses in Jary Road are in zone up to, but not including 444 Jary Road. Mill Road and Sowerby Road are in zone. The boundary intersects Te Awamutu Road (SH3) at the Jary Road intersection. The boundary continues east until it reaches Lake Ngaroto.
- From Lake Ngaroto, the Western boundary line crosses Lake Road at 168 Lake Road, such that addresses on Lake Road east of this point are in zone. The boundary line then crosses at 252 Ryburn Road at the intersection with Lake Road. Ryburn Road addresses east of its intersection with Lake Road are in zone. The western boundary crosses Forkert Road at the intersection with Ngahinapouri Road. Forkert Road addresses east of its intersection with Ngahinapouri Road are in zone. Ngahinapouri Road is out of zone. The boundary continues such that Dingle Road and Douch Road are in zone and McGregor Road is not in zone.
- (Both sides of all streets and roads are included unless otherwise stated).
- Proof of residence within the home zone may be required.
Applications for out of zone enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
First Priority This priority category is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a special programme approved by the Secretary of Education.
Second Priority: must be given to any applicant who is the sibling of a current student at school.
Third Priority: must be given to any student who is the sibling of a former student at school.
Fourth Priority: must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student at school.
Fifth Priority: must be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school, or a child of a member of the board of the school.
Sixth Priority: must be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth priority groups than there are places available, section within the priority group must be by ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11G(1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Applicants seeking second and third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
Applications for out of zone places are now being invited for those students who will become eligible for enrolment during the period 4th June to 18th December. The deadline for receipt of application for out of zone students is May 22nd 2013.
If a ballot for out of zone places is required, it will be held on May 24th 2013. Parents will be informed of the outcome of the ballot within three school days of the ballot being held.
If you live in the home zone and have not yet signalled your intention to enrol your child later this year, please contact the school immediately to assist us to plan appropriately.
p.p. Ohaupo School Board of Trustees